Monday, June 19, 2006

Jane Austen

I've really gotten back into reading over the past couple of years. I used to read all the time when I was younger. I think having to read so many textbooks in college took me away from it for a while. The last thing I wanted to do when I had a break from school was stick my nose in another book. I rediscovered my love of reading while nursing Houston. I found I was watching way too much of the boob tube as I sat there nursing most of the day for the first several months. (Big babies eat a LOT ... trust me, I have much experience in that area.) I got tired of watching my "stories" and finally picked up a book. Since then, I can't even count how many books I have read. To name a few ... the first five Harry Potter books, all four of Dan Brown's books, a couple of cheesy romance novels, and lately two of Jane Austen's books ... which brings me to the point of this post ... I was really disappointed with Sense & Sensibility, which I finished reading today. I read Pride & Prejudice a few months ago, which I loved. And the movie is great too. I've watched it three times in the past month.
I was "supposed to" read these books in high school but could never get into them. For some reason, I am now able to read them and enjoy them. Even though I was disappointed in S&S, I could not put it down. Not sure if that makes sense or not but oh well. Now i'm looking for something else to read before I read Emma. Something unlike a Jane Austen novel. I would really love to find another author similar to Dan Brown to read. I really enjoyed all of his books. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
~C

3 comments:

  1. Celena, when i was 15 i read Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and loved it. couldn't put it down. Then i tried picking it up years later and couldn't get into it at all. In high school we read Wuthering Heights and i thought it was fantastic. So, i'd suggest both. :) When can we come see your little bundle of joy? We'll bring you lunch!
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever read Michael Crichton? He's the huy that wrote Jurassic Park. I've every single one of his books and they're great. One of my favorites is Travels, which is short stories from his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean you didn't read all those books for AP English? I'm shocked! I'm sure I never did that! :)

    As for some good stuff, although it's nothing like Dan Brown, I've read of late some stuff by Chuck Palahniuk (the guy who wrote the book they based "Fight Club" on), David Sedaris (just dadgum funny and poignant memoirs), and Don Miller who offers some insights into life, faith, and other issues with a real open and authentic feel. Good stuff.

    If you want to find some Dan Brown-ish stuff though, I'd suggest checking with your local bookstore. I know last time I was in Barnes & Noble or Books a Million they had a whole deal with similar and related works. Worth a shot!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete