Monday, September 08, 2008

Crafty News

So i've been racking my brain lately trying to think of something I can do to supplement our income while waiting for business to pick up. We have enough work to keep Brett busy 40+ hours per week but not enough to keep me that busy. I figure while Brody is at daycare and Houston is in private school I better find a way to bring in some more cash. Thing is, I don't want another "career". I don't want something I have to dedicate a lot of time and energy towards just to quit when things pick back up. I considered waiting tables just because it's easy, i've done it before, i could work a few lunch shifts a week and still do all the "mom's taxi service" stuff. That would also leave me a couple of days to be in the office doing the things I do. I could do some teaching or tutoring but with that comes a lot of preparation and time that I don't really have for the money I would make. So long story short ... Brett and I talked about what would be the best thing and we came up with something that we think will fit our life pretty well. See I already have the skill and talent to dye yarn and roving that other people like enough to buy so why not step it up a bit? That's where the title of this post comes in ... Rocket Yarn has always been a side thing that I do when I feel like being artistic. I just pick colors as they come to me and don't worry too much about producing lots of stuff. Well that is about to change. I have lots of exciting ideas and i'm looking forward to seeing how they pan out. I'm going to dedicate one (maybe two) days a week while the kids are away to dye up yarn, roving and project bags. I have a website in the works too. And to get things started I put some things I already had on clearance in my shop and managed to sell most of them over that past week. Hopefull that's a sign of good things to come. Now I just have to figure out all the technical things like getting a wholesale license and stuff like that. Anyone that has experience/advice ... i'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment