Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike's Sadness

For those of you who don't know, Brett and I used to live where hurricane Ike hit. We've been watching the news over the weekend and can't believe our eyes as we see places we used to shop and go out to eat and work either torn up or under water. The saddest thing to me is the Kemah Boardwalk. This was just a few miles down the road from our house. Brett asked me to marry him at the top of the ferris wheel at the Kemah Boardwalk and we were married in the Kemah Community Center. Here is a video that shows the destruction in Seabrook and Kemah and at the boardwalk. My heart just sinks watching this. I've been in touch with a few of my former coworkers and it sounds like many have left the area for the time being. My thoughts and prayers are with them during this terrible time.

I feel so helpless in this situation. I want to be out there with my friends and coworkers to help them pick up the peices but I can't do that right now. If we didn't have kids I think Brett and I would both be on our way out there with our working gloves on. I've been working on an idea for a way that I may be able to help. If anyone knows of a non-government organization that proved to be efficient and helpful during Katrina that will be helping in the Houston area, please let me know. I have to figure out the specifics but I'm working on a way to raise some money for them. It may not be a huge amount but it will be something and it will be more than we can give by ourselves at this time. More details to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment