Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Etsy, Speech Therapy, Art and Birthdays

So I sold more yarn at SnB and on Etsy this week. Sold some stitch markers on Etsy last week too. To be honest, I love what I make but i'm really surprised at how willing others are to buy it. It's awesome. There's nothing like having people want to use their hard-earned money to buy things i've made. Just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Houston had his first speech therapy session yesterday. There was good news and there was not so good news. The good news is that he works really well with Miss Melissa, his therapist. She had hoped he would be ready by the time he was three to give her the attention span she needs to make progress. She said he did really well and that he's ready. The not so good news is that his evaluation chart looked almost exactly like it did back in January. Basically what that means is that he hasn't developed any new sounds in the last seven months which puts him even farther behind for age related development. He's talking up a storm though which is what she hoped would happen by now. So we'll be going to Gainesville once a week for therapy and we have homework to do two days a week. He has a folder that we take home and as they move on to the next sound she'll add cards and games to his folder for us to work on at home. Right now we're working on popping our P's. After just one session yesterday he came out saying "soap" instead of "sew" so that was really great to hear. Melissa came very highly recommended by our pediatrician and I really love her as does Houston. That's why we're going to stick with her and make the drive to Gainesville instead of finding someone here. Now I really need to get a move on finding childcare two days a week since we have a speech therapy bill to add to our monthly budget. We have a couple tricks up our sleeve on that front so let's hope that one of them pans out soon.

I'm really looking forward to going in to an office to work a couple days a week too. It will be good for our family in so many ways. And although some people have questioned whether or not it's a good idea for Brett and I to work together two days a week, we're not worried about it. For one, i'll be doing structural work and will not be working on any of the same projects that Brett is. Two, it will be nice to get the chance to have lunch with my hubby a couple days a week. And three, i'm still working on my own time ... not actually an employee of GTC so I can come and go as I please. And we're one of those couples that does everything together anyway. We never get to a point where we have to take a break from eachother like some people do and if we do, we'll know it and deal with it. I even have a desk and computer reserved for me at the office so they're ready for me to be there as soon as I can. I did some thrift shopping in Gainesville yesterday after speech therapy and got some work clothes. Got a ton of stuff actually including a basically brand new pair of really super comfortable dress shoes all for $30. I love great finds like that. I could have found so much more too if I didn't have the boys with me. I have enough to get started for now though with what I found yesterday. I haven't had to wear work clothes in over three years and since there's been two babies in those three years you can imagine how I have nothing to wear to work. It was really nice to see myself in some decent clothes again too. My wardrobe has pretty much consisted of baggy t-shirts and shorts for the past three years.

Brody is walking all over the place now and he and Houston are quite the accomplished painters these days. They love to paint so much. We paint pretty much every day. Art class is going well and people are very generous with supply donations. I'm really looking forward to it being a little cooler outside. It's crazy how hot it's been at 9:30 in the morning. The kids don't seem to mind too much though. And speaking of art stuff, Houston's grandpa got him a really nice wooden easel and art supplies for his birthday. He's going to be so excited when he sees that. I can't wait to see the look on his face when he opens it. And speaking of birthdays, we finally figured out what we're going to do for Houston's party. It's going to be saturday the 25th at 3pm. We're not going to do our usual invite everyone we know and throw a big party. We're just going to have family and a few friends over and have some snacks and cake and ice cream. I don't think i'm even going to send out invites like I usually do since it's so close to then already. I'll just send out some emails and make some phone calls. It will still probably end up being bigger than Brody's party. So many people were out of town at weddings that day. There were probably five different weddings that we knew of that day.

Well I guess that's enough rambling on for one day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment