Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Procrastination & Knitterly Gifts

So i'm supposed to be working but i'm having a hard time getting my head into the project this morning. I was supposed to finish two projects last night but my CAD files wouldn't unzip. So I had to have them resent this morning and attempt to work while caring for the kiddos at the same time ... which doesn't usually go well ... hence my usual late night posts after finishing a job at midnight or later. I have yoga tonight so i'm trying to get something done during the day. We'll see how it goes. We're actually supposed to be at the park right now with a mom's group but Houston woke up in the middle of the night and threw up on Brett so I figured we should probably stay home. I was actually looking forward to the park as I haven't left the house since I got home from Stitch 'n Bitch on sunday. Oh well ...

So there are several things on my "to blog about" list. There's my trip to Indiana, old pictures of Uncle Buck and I, my birthday gifts, finished objects, the "come to jesus moment" i need to have about a project i'm working on, and knitting family members (Hi Aunt Karen). Since my brain doesn't want to turn on this morning (was it the cleaning of puke and screaming child at 3am?) i'll go with the easiest post.

Knitterly Birthday Gifts ... YAY! :) These days there's not much that makes me happier than knitterly stuff. So here it goes:

1. Papa and Miss Nancy got me a knitting book I wanted called Knitting in the Old Way. (Yay for having a wish list on my blog .. how cool is it to actually get stuff I really want?) They're always good at figuring out what I want, even if it's something I didn't know I wanted yet. :) Thanks Papa and Miss Nancy!

2. Rachel gave me some yarn that I also had on my wish list. It's Patons Soy Wool Stripes. As the name suggests, it's a blend of wool and soy and it's stripey. Yay! I love me some stripes! Thanks Rach! I've already figured out one thing I want to knit with it too. Calorimetry
3. My dad gave me money to buy something I wanted. So far i've purchased some professional acid dyes for my yarn dyeing and as soon as I get another Joann's coupon in the mail i'm using it to order myself a swift (it's a yarn thing). Yay! Thanks Dad!
4. In my usual fashion, I also bought myself something. Does anyone else do this? I always buy myself something for my birthday. I try to be really careful about spending money but I let myself splurge a little for my birthday. I bought myself a knitting book and some yarn. Here's the book:

I don't have the yarn yet as I ordered it on the internet just a day or so ago. I bought two skeins of Cherry Tree Hill Sockittome from a yarn store that is closing down so I got a really good deal on it. One in Moody Blues and the other in Red Cherry.

Since i'm still procrastinating i'll post some other knitterly stuff. Here's the headband I finished knitting several weeks ago. Nice gray hair huh?

And here are my "Ugly Socks". Aren't they awful? I don't know why I continue to knit them. I suppose it's because I enjoy actually finishing a project from time to time ... especially socks.


Currently listening to: Meredith Brooks Blurring the Edge
Forgot how much I liked this CD. Actually, completely forgot this CD exists until I read something on Lorena's blog this morning that reminded me of it.

Currently reading: The Bitch in the House
Great book! It's a collection of essays written by women. Here's the blurb from the book jacket: Women today have more choices than at any time in history, yet many smart, ambitious, contemporary women are finding themselves angry, dissatisfied, stressed out. Why are they dissatisfied? And what do they really want? These questions form the premise of this passionate, provocative, funny, searingly honest collection of original essays in which twenty-six women writers invite readers into their lives, minds, and bedrooms to talk about the choices they've made, what's working, and what's not.

More to come on this book later, for sure. Lorena suggested this book to me while we were talking at Applebee's on sunday as I was explaining how I had been "the bitch in the house" last week. Then she lent it to me when I went to pet her stash. I've only read the first two essays so far but I would highly recommend it to any other stressed out, frustrated women who find themselves being somebody they are not or don't want to be. Thanks Lorena ... what a great read!

Okay ... back to work now. :(

3 comments:

  1. i think the ugly socks are awesome!!!!
    go ugly socks!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think the ugly socks are awesome! They would look great with some Birks.

    I also love the headband and want one. When are you going to start selling on Etsy?

    xoxoxo
    Erika

    ReplyDelete